Here are some of the top things to do in Mintaro, South Australia, and explanations of each attraction:
- Martindale Hall: Martindale Hall is a grand mansion built in the 1880s by wealthy pastoralist Edmund Bowman Jr. The mansion is now a museum and is open to the public for guided tours. Visitors can explore the opulent interior of the mansion, which features period furnishings, artwork, and other artifacts. Martindale Hall is also famous for its appearance in the 1975 film “Picnic at Hanging Rock.”
- Mintaro Maze: The Mintaro Maze is a popular tourist attraction that features a hedge maze, a garden maze, and a miniature maze. The maze is made up of over 800 conifers and is one of the largest mazes in Australia. Visitors can enjoy exploring the maze, which is designed to challenge and delight people of all ages.
- Reillys Wines: Reillys Wines is a family-owned winery located in the heart of the Clare Valley wine region. Visitors can sample a range of wines and enjoy a gourmet platter or lunch in the winery’s beautiful surroundings. The winery is also home to a museum that showcases the history of the region’s wine industry.
- The Magpie & Stump Hotel: The Stump is a historic pub located in the heart of Mintaro, South Australia. The pub was established in the mid-19th century and is one of the oldest operating hotels in the Clare Valley region.
- Mintaro Heritage Trail: The Mintaro Heritage Trail is a self-guided walking tour that takes visitors on a journey through the town’s rich history. The trail covers over 20 historic sites, including churches, schools, and public buildings. Visitors can pick up a brochure at the Mintaro Institute and explore the town at their own pace.
- Mintaro Slate Quarries: The Mintaro Slate Quarries are an important part of the town’s history and have been in operation since the mid-19th century. Visitors can take a tour of the quarries and learn about the process of extracting and shaping the slate. The slate is used for roofing, flooring, and other building applications and is prized for its durability and beauty.
- St. Aloysius Church: St. Aloysius Church is a historic Catholic church located in the center of Mintaro. The church was built in the 1860s and is known for its beautiful stained glass windows and ornate altar. Visitors can attend mass or simply admire the architecture and artwork of this beautiful church.
- Riesling Trail: The Riesling Trail is a 35 km bike trail that winds through the Clare Valley wine region. The trail passes through Mintaro and offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside. Visitors can rent a bike and enjoy a leisurely ride along the trail, stopping to sample wines and enjoy local food along the way.